nedeľa 21. novembra 2010

TASK: Troubleshooting


You are a journalist in The Times where you are responsible for the Troubleshooter corner. Here are three people who all need help. Read about their problems, choose one and write an article.

Use Reported speech to mention some facts from the letters. (Lonnely Heart wrote that... She asked if... She wanted to know.. etc.)

Use also dome phrases for giving advice.

1. For Friendship or Love?
I'm one of those guys who have "the quite normal" problem: I'm in love with a girl, but I don't know what to do. I have already had a crush on some girls, never with any success, but this is something different. 
My problem is actually that I'm too cowardly to tell her anything. I know that she likes me and we're very, very good friends. We've known each other for about three years, and our friendship has constantly become better. We often get into quarrels, but we always make up. 
Another problem is that we often talk about problems with each other, and so I know she is having problems with her boyfriend (who I think is no good for her). We meet almost every day. We always have very much fun together, but is it really so difficult to love someone who has been a good chum to you until now?
LoonelyHeart, male, 15
2. Please Help me and My Family
My family don't get along. It's like we all hate each other. It's my mom, me, my two brothers and a sister. I am the oldest. 
We all have certain problems: My mom wants to quit smoking so she is really stressed out. I am really selfish (I just can't help it). One of my brothers is too bossy. He thinks he is better than the rest of us and that he is the only one who helps my mom. My other brother is kind of abusive and depressed. He always starts fights and he's really spoiled (my mom doesn't yell at him for doing things wrong and when she does, he laughs at her); My sister (who's 7) makes messes and doesn't clean them up. 
I really want to help because I don't like being upset all of the time and having everyone hate everyone else. Even when we start to get along, someone will say something to upset someone else. Please help me and my family.
Trouble Girl, female, 15
3. Hates School
I hate school. I cannot stand my school so I skip it almost every day. Luckily, I am a smart person and I'm in all of the advanced classes and don't have reputation as a rebel. Only the people who really know me know about my strange feelings. 
My parents don't care - they don't even mention it if I don't go to school. What I end up doing is sleeping all day and then staying up all night talking to my girlfriend. I get behind in my work and when I try to go back to school I get a bunch of crap from my teachers and friends. I just get so depressed when I think about it. I have given up on trying to go back and now am considering dropping out altogether, but I really don't want to do that because I realize it would ruin my life. 
I don't want to go back at all but I also don't want it to ruin my life. I am so confused and I have really tried to go back and just can't take it. What should I do? Please help.
Bad Boy, male, 16

3 komentáre:

  1. To BadBoy:

    Hello I´am Pista. I have gone and I will go to school beacuse it is very important for everybody. On somebody´s lessons I sleep beacuse I think it´s not important for me but on others lessons I listen to the teachers.
    I must say you to go to school. If you never go to school you will have a big problem and everybody will think about you much more bad things. Greets.

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  2. Hi, LoonelyHeart.

    I was thinking about your problem and in my opinion your story is the same as my. Whereas I am a one experienced, I will try to help you. Try to be nice, sometimes tell a funny joke, when you are talking with her. When I was in your age, someone told me that I don´t need to wait.
    You must put things in motion. Say to her, that you love her...Or you can still wait, but that can take forever.
    I wish you good luck. (MS)

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť
  3. Loonely Heart,

    I have for you two possibilities. The first is: She can be your girlfrend but you cant be shy, talk to her and you ought not to take it with her so fast. You have better to take it slowly and wait while she dont broke up with her boyfriend.But there is a risk. When you broke up with her you maybe wont be friends. The second is : Everithing among you remain as now and you dont risk that you maybe wont be friends.

    Yours sincerely ML

    OdpovedaťOdstrániť